Friday, February 15, 2008

Dear Patty...


Today, I was pleasantly surprised when I came home from school today. I had received a letter. Not just any old letter. But a hand written, thought out letter. My friend who now goes to college at Coastal Carolina, took the time to actually sit down and write a letter. What I find so special about this is that we have actually spoken several times ever since she went to college. We have e-mailed, facebook-ed each other, and texted each other. But she traditionally sat down and that special because I was really on her mind and if came from the heart. I feel as if our world is in fast forward that we don't have time to be kind and remind people of how much they mean to us because of technology. Don't get me wrong technology and Web 2.0 are amazing things added to our world and have made it flat and brought us closer to the rest of the world. But sometimes, being traditional, is better. Makes people feel different and special. I feel that the art of writing letters has been lost and replaced. So I challenge you all to think of someone who you may not talk to often, have not seen in a while or may talk to occasionally , and write them a letter. It will make them feel good. See if they write back and then see how you feel. It's pretty cool and different for all of us growing up in the life of technology.

1 comment:

MemphisKell said...

I agree. Hand written letters are special. When I was a young teenager I had penpals all over the world. It was very exciting to find a letter in the mailbox. Cool stamps. Funny stories. At age 12 I was even in love with my German pen pal. He was hott.